Re: Type tags for Debian packages.

>> "JAT" == James A Treacy <treacy@debian.org> writes:

JAT> Adding a Keywords line to the Packages files has already been
JAT> suggested.  It would all users to make enquiries on 'web server'
JAT> and all web servers would be brought up in a list. I understand
JAT> this is what RH does. This would be a huge improvement over how
JAT> we currently categorize software and allows user to create custom
JAT> package lists.

I don't like the keyword idea.

What should the keyword for a httpd be?

httpd, www-server, www server, webserver, web server, http deamon ...

Still, I am sure, I I look for a package, I will try five times, and
none of my keyword is listed. (Murphy's Law)

Patrik's suggestion is to give our existing setup more depth.

Section: <package's main location, like before> sound
Purpose: <virtual locations> sound/mixer/x11, sound/cdplayer/x11

No user has problems to find the proper keywords, as they are first
presented the sound section. If they open it, they will see the possible
subsections mixer and cdplayer.

JAT> Why was this idea never pursued?

Most likely because noone coded it. Even a sample, unfinished
implementation can cause others to jump on the train. Sorry I don't
speak C.

Ciao,
	Martin