Re: Type tags for Debian packages.

On 11 Jan 1999, Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> Section: <package's main location, like before> sound
> Purpose: <virtual locations> sound/mixer/x11, sound/cdplayer/x11
>
> No user has problems to find the proper keywords, as they are first
> presented the sound section. If they open it, they will see the possible
> subsections mixer and cdplayer.

Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind.

> JAT> Why was this idea never pursued?
>
> Most likely because noone coded it. Even a sample, unfinished
> implementation can cause others to jump on the train. Sorry I don't
> speak C.

Well I do. IMHO it should be simple to change few packages so they can
cope with the new Purpose: line and it should not be difficult to write
some simple example application as well (html index generator springs on
my mind).

But I wanted to discuss this with debian people if they would ever accept
it. It would be useless to code anything if maintainers refuse to add the
Purpose: line (or whatever it's name will be).

Also, the list of virtual locations should be somewhat standardized in
advance...

Patrik