Re: db of /etc/passwd and /etc/group

</lurk>

In article <[🔎] 99011022591305.05693@lyta>,
Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> wrote:

> This seems to work OK.  I can't claim to having tested it
> extensively (run for a week on my laptop), but it seems to work.

I've run it for a bit longer than that here, and all is well. My
system isn't busy enough to show any speed improvement though.

> Then with the current setup you want to have a cron entry for root
> to run make regularly with the current setup (I do it every hour).

Ah, I hadn't thought of doing that. I just (hope I remember to) run
'update-system-db' (which just does 'make -C /var/db') when I change
one of the /etc files. Or when something else does. Perhaps
'update-system-db' would be a useful command generally? (it could
e.g. push NIS maps to slave servers as well).

>> I would really -love- to have two password files, a local one an a
>> replicated one ..

> This is not the solution for replicated password files.

True. (Although if you could pass parameters to the nss functions
through nss.conf I'm sure you could do it).

> [...] have programs look at the DB files first and then look at the
> flat files if the entry isn't found, or to just only look in the DB
> files.

So, if /etc/passwd is 'local', and /var/db is 'replicated' (which
would make sense if the local data is small and the replicated data is
large), then you essentially get it ;)

SRH

(behave, newsgate...)
--
I will protect you from your visions to save you from illusions
I will protect you from ideals to save you from defeat            [covenant]