Re: Unmet Deps revisted

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Martin Schulze wrote:

> Santiago Vila wrote:
> > Would I get some support from people in this list if I submit the
> > following bug?:
> >
> > *----------------------
> > Package: ftp.debian.org
> > Version: slink
> > Severity: important
> >
> > I can't install all the optional packages, because a lot of conflicts.
> > *----------------------
>
> Please give more details or the bug report would be useless.

I can explain how I tried to get them all:

Just uncompress base2_1.tgz in a chroot environment, replace
/var/lib/dpkg/available by an uncompressed copy of Packages.gz, use a
simple awk script and dpkg --set-selections to select all optional
packages, enter dselect and see what happens

What happens is a complete disaster. Examples:

smail is still optional, but conflicts with exim, so it should be extra.
hello-debhelper conflicts with hello, and has absolutely no extra
functionality over ordinary hello, so the binary should be removed, in
either case it should be extra.
gmc conflicts with mc, but both are optional.

There are in total *ten* dselect Dependency/conflict resolution screens.
(using the PageForward key). Am I *really* required to report them *all*,
or may I ask our kind ftp.debian.org maintainers to do a *serious*
dependency/conflict check *before* the deep freeze?

Thanks.

--
 "bd27cddc1b26a2c32d3830704019ee78" (a truly random sig)