Re: FWD: RMS and Debian on his Toshiba

Patrick Ouellette wrote:

> Perhaps it would have been more constructive to ask if anyone had
> the pcmcia-cs package from slink compiled with Hamm's glibc, instead
> of proposing major changes to the Debian distribution system that could
> compromise the integrity of the stable release (making it less stable).

I don't remember ever proposing any such thing. As far as I can see
a few optional packages for only those that need them enhances the
stablity of the stable release.

> Anything that depends on pcmcia-cs *could* break when it is updated.
> Or worse, the version of pcmcia-cs could depend on upgrading other
> packages to work properly.

Which is precisely none and none anyway. Besides I was talking about
an extra optional packaging for only those that need it. If
version 3.0.1 of the pcmcia does not work, it can't get that much
worse with 3.0.7, and if it does they can always back out to the
3.0.1 version. I can't see the problem with such a scheme.

As another example of the problems that ridged update scheme to Debian
can cause, on the latest Toshiba's the Fn key has a vicious tendency
to lock the machine up hard. Now I have an update to my hotkey program
(which is included in slink) which will fix this. However it comes as
a version upgrade in the package, and besides required a whole new
section of code to deal with the Fn key on the new models.
How does not allowing this as an update to slink do anything for
its stability?

JAB.

--
Jonathan Buzzard