Re: Call for mascot! :-) -- flying pigs

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Avery Pennarun wrote:
> For that matter, how about a flying pig?  Then at least outsiders will get
> the joke.

If we're going for flying barnyard animals, I really have to go with
flying cows.  I mean, I'm sure this is horribly english-language-centric
:), but you've got great material both from Python's _Holy_Grail_ and Gary
Larson's _The_Far_Side_.

> The key here is "cute."  People don't want an ugly chicken-like creature
> that is clearly ready to attack at the slightest provocation.

And furthermore, even if it -was- to attack, it really wouldn't do
anything.  Linus -was- able to give a convincing, -somewhat- alarming
description of an angry penguin and why you wouldn't want to mess with
him, but really ... chicken?  If it was a rooster, maybe it'd be a little
intimidating.  That's the great thing about the FreeBSD guy ... he looks
nice and all, but he's still got that spear-thing.

> Octopi and ants may also be good, if they have wings.

Octopi with wings?  Now -that- is a confusing bunch of appendages, if you
ask me. =)

Andy