Re: man and glibc 2.1 breakage

On Thu, Apr 01, 1999 at 08:06:48PM +0300, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 01, 1999 at 10:08:15AM +0300, Fabrizio Polacco wrote:
> >  * pager not working properly (terminal settings gone)
>
> I have this.

I have this as well.

ii  man-db          2.3.10-69e     Display the on-line manual.

> >  * infinite loop if /usr/local/man does not exist.
>
> I have /usr/local/man, so I can't test this.

I don't have this problem; I mv'ed /usr/local/man to a different name and
saw no changes in man's behavior; neither on manpages that already had a
catman version, nor ones it couldn't find, e.g:

man nothing
Updating index cache for path `/usr/X11R6/man'. Wait...done.
No manual entry for nothing

> >  * does downgrading man-db to a previous version solve the problems?
>
> Yes.  All the previous versions you gave and the slink version are okay.

I didn't try downgrading.

> >  * does downgrading libc to a 2.0 version (while keeping latest man)
> >    solve the problems?
>
> I will not test this.

I have this problem, and am tracking potato EXCEPT for the glibc2.1 and
related packages:

ii  libc6           2.0.7.19981211 GNU C Library: shared libraries

> >  * does recompiling man-db in a glibc-dev 2.1 env solve the problem?
>
> No.

Didn't try this.

Between Antti's response and mine, I suspect the terminal problem is a good
old-fashioned thinko somewhere that has nothing to do with libc.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |
Debian GNU/Linux                 |      Music is the brandy of the damned.