Re: RFC: debhelper v2

    Joey> I think I have a solution - starting with debhelper version
    Joey> 2, debhelper will continue to behave as it does now by
    Joey> default. If a special environement variable, DH_COMPAT, is
    Joey> set to 2 or above, it will change over to using the new,
    Joey> clean functionality. This will of course be accopmplished
    Joey> easily by setting the variable at the top of debian/rules.

This is an excellent, excellent solution.

    Joey> So what remains is figuring out what to change. I'm looking
    Joey> for feedback on this, so if some aspect of debhelpor has
    Joey> bothered you but couldn't be changed without breaking
    Joey> backwards compatability, now's the time to bring it to my
    Joey> attention. Here's some things I could change:

    Joey> * Standardize on the name used for the temporary build
    Joey> directory of a package. Currently it's debian/tmp/ for the
    Joey> first package and debian/<package>/ for other packages of a
    Joey> multi-binary package. I'm considering debian/<package>/ for
    Joey> all packages, or perhaps debian/tmp/<package>/ or perhaps
    Joey> debian/<package>-tmp/ . Of course making this change means a
    Joey> certain amount of changes will be needed to make any package
    Joey> work with v2.

Please, please do this. debian/tmp for the first package but not
any other is a big pain in the butt.

    Joey> * I've observed that large multi-binary packages end up with
    Joey> an unruly debian/ directory with all the <package>.* files
    Joey> in it. It may make sense to make debhelper use
    Joey> debian/<package>/* instead. Of course this requires that
    Joey> directory is no longer used as the temporary build
    Joey> directory.

Perhaps we could use debian/build/package/ for the build directories.

This seems a bit cleaner to me, as it makes removing all the package
temp directories a matter of rm -rf debian/build/ instead of guessing
which dirs to remove in debian/ .

A few feature requests.. it would be nice to be able to tell
dh_shlibdeps to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to a directory, for use in
multi-binary packages that make binaries that depend on a library
contained in a different package that has been built. Currently
I do:

        LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$(shell pwd)/debian/tmp/usr/lib dh_shlibdeps -pgimp

but it might be nicer to say

	dh_shlibdeps -pgimp -ldebian/tmp/usr/lib

or some such.

--
Brought to you by the letters I and G and the number 1.
"Ha ha! I have evaded you with the aid of these pasty white mints!"