gdm/xdm/login.app weirdnesses

I'm running potato and till recently was running XDM with login.app to
give the login screen a nice clean look.  Then GDM (Gnome Display
Manager) showed up in unstable so i grabbed it.  Next time i rebooted,
it gave me the gnome login screen and my mouse works, but for some odd
reason it disables my keyboard.  The kb works through bootup but once
it goes to the gdm login screen my led lights won't even come on & off.
 The only possible thing i can think of that i might have done was put
 login.app into the wrong runlevel or something...when i initially
 installed login.app it tried to configure before X and XDM were
 configured so it told me to configure later with some config script
 somewhere.  When it ran, it asked me which runlevel to put login.app
 into.  I know nothing about runlevels, and was given the options 2345
 ...i chose 2.  When i decided to install GDM i removed login.app
 fearing problems; when i removed it, it spit some things out about the
 runlevel stuff.  I don't remember what this said nor do i have any
 idea what it meant.  Anyway, i simply went in with a boot disk,
 renamed gdm within init.d to prevent it from booting, and then removed
 GDM, Login.app, and XDM altogether within dselect.  This has thusfar
 solved my problem; however, i sure would like to be able to have some
 freedom in choosing xdm, login.app, and gdm without worrying about
 this.  Is it simply a bug in GDM? I suppose i'll see...

_:Jared Johnson