Re: Time to rewrite dpkg IN IDL! :)

Aaron Van Couwenberghe <vanco@sonic.net> writes:

> I have grown increasingly aware of FUD of this type about C++ and OO
> languages. OO is designed to *increase* interoperability, flexibility, and
> extensibility -- definately not the other way around.

OO isn't limited to C++, and C++ isn't limited to OO.  The two
overlap, but they are far from identical.  Some people dislike C++
because it's not OO *enough*!

C is generally far more interoperable with other languages (even other
OO languages) than C++ is.  C++ is great if you're *only* using C++,
but if you're using a different language, with a different object
model (or none), you're in trouble.  References to alien, polymorphic,
multiply-inherited objects are scary, especially when much of their
structure and behavior is officially defined as "implementation
defined" by the language standard.

But C has its own problems, not least of which is that it's a
primitive procedural language with no built-in OO features to speak
of.  And with emphasis on "primitive".

I think an interesting approach would be to use CORBA.  Make dpkg into
a networkable server for polymorphic package objects!  G'wan, I dare
ya!  :-)