Re: Time to rewrite dpkg IN IDL! :)

On Thu, May 20, 1999 at 02:50:38AM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:

> I think an interesting approach would be to use CORBA.  Make dpkg into
> a networkable server for polymorphic package objects!  G'wan, I dare
> ya!  :-)

I don't see why not.

Software is becomming more and more complex, people are expecting more and
more out of it.  The more modern and advanced things Debian can tout,
the cooler we'll look.  I don't have any experience in industry working
with OO, but I have a little knowledge from what I work on at uni.  A
proper OO approach could produce a highly maintainable and extensible
(and non-language specific) design that could be implemented easily enough
in _many_ languages.  There are a few OO tools (I'm thinking Rational Rose
in particular) that can do code generation from UML work, which could mean
that we could decide on a design before decending to our baser instincts
to argue about what language it should be implemented in :)

daniel