Re: unknown host localhost

On Thu, 20 May 1999, Lawrence Walton wrote:

> On Thu, May 20, 1999 at 07:00:04PM -0400, Sergey V Kovalyov wrote:
> > After today's potato update my computer no longer knows about localhost.
> > Is this a known bug in some package or do I just need to reconfigure
> > something ?
> > Anyone else has similar problem ?
> >
> What kernel are you using? if it's a non-2.2 kernel that might be the problem.
> If it's a non-2.2 kernel you might want to upgrade to the 2.2.7 kernel package
> I am rather fond of this kernel.

I'm using 2.2.8 and untill later today I did not have the problem.
Ok, it seems I've found the problem.
It turned out in /etc/nsswitch.conf I had "hosts dns ldap".
When nscd was on, it did not look into the local files. But without nscd
everything worked fine. So I've just added "hosts files dns ldap" and
everything started working Ok.
I probably should file a wishlist bug against libnss-ldap to include
"files" in the example nsswitch.conf.

Sorry for much noise out of nothing.

Sergey.