Re: GTK problems - not compiling

So it's not a bug and we're satisfied with the following situation?

 Some programs from other linux systems or even hamm systems will randomly seg
 fault.

 If any libraries from other linux distributions or even hamm systems are
 present on a potato machine when programs are compiled the resulting binaries
 may randomly crash.

 There's no supported way to compile programs on a potato system that will run
 on a hamm system or any other glibc2.0 distribution. This may impact our
 responsiveness handling security issues in hamm.

Really I think the glibc maintainers made a fundamental error in
overestimating the sophistication of linux's shared library versioning scheme.
A little work should have gone into ld.so before trying this experiment.

In linux two libraries with the same soname are required to be fully
compatible. period. Otherwise it isn't possible to exchange binaries or
libraries between two machines. One-direction compatibility is simply not
adequate to justify keeping the same soname.

greg