Re: X on a Dell Inspiron Laptop

* Douglas Bates (bates@stat.wisc.edu) [990523 03:30]:
> A friend recently bought a high-end Dell laptop computer.  The model
> is the Inspiron 8000, if I recall correctly.

>From the graphics hardware it is an Inspiron 7000, there is no 8000

> Another problem we encountered is in the configuration of the X
> server.  The version of SuperProbe and the xservers in Debian 2.1 were
> not able to recognize the chip.  We installed the 3.3.3.1 X11 packages
> compiled for Debian 2.1 from the www.netgod.net site.  That version of
> SuperProbe recognized the chip and describes it as
>
>  First video: Super-VGA
>  Chipset: ATI 264LT Pro (Port Probed)
>  Memory: 8192 Kbytes
>  RAMDAC: ATI Mach64 integrated 15/16/24/32-bit DAC w/clock
>          (with 6-bit wide lookup tables (or in 6-bit mode))
>          (programmable for 6/8-bit wide lookup tables)
>  Attached graphics coprocessor:
>        Chipset: ATI Mach64
>        Memory: 8192 Kbytes
>
> but neither the xserver-svga nor the xserver-mach64 packages seem to
> want to drive it.  Does anyone know if there are more recent drivers
> at xfree86.org or at SuSE that will drive this video system?

Unfortunately does the XFree86 Xserver still not completely support
the LT variant of the Rage Pro chipset.

What you need to do is to take the latest Debian Mach64 Xserver from
unstable and add a few things that you can find here:

http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/

It is quite possible that you need to downgrade the BIOS of the laptop
tothe A06 revision, since newer revisions do not set up the Rage LT Pro
chip properly

I've been running my I7k under X since October last year. First with the
dongle solution later then with the help of the vesa-fb driver in the
kernel.

If you still have problems with your friends laptop after reading the
above web site, I can mail you my detailed setup.

Mike