Re: stupid idea - metapackages

On Sat, May 22, 1999 at 05:18:24PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Philip> How about creating a new section ``profiles'' for them, so
> Philip> that they are all grouped together in dselect ?
>
> I think it's a little too early for new sections.  The boot-floppies
> team, in particular, wanted to see someone implement some metapackages
> before moving the profile/task system over to them.
>
> [Also, I think we need to totally rip up our archive sections, adding
> stuff like 'database', 'i18n', 'lang/perl', 'lang/python',
> 'lang/elisp', etc, and also allow pkgs to be in more than one
> section.]

I really like this idea (I had the same idea a while ago so I'm biased <g>).
The sections need to be listed somewhere, but it would be pretty cool to
have netscape in
web/browsers
web/editors
news/readers
mail/readers

I think we should still use a hierarchal FTP layout though - putting 1000's
of files in one directory is slow, if nothing.
(web/readers isn't common terminology incase you were wondering).

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@zetnet.co.uk, http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Avoid tiresome goat sacrifices  -=-  use Debian Linux http://www.debian.org