Re: Paying CD vendors for freebies

On Sat, May 22, 1999 at 04:10:01PM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
[snip]
> Yes, but we tend to run out quickly, too quickly.  A bit of reference,
> CD's (usually a CD sells for about US$2, they cost US$.43 to make last
> time I checked---for a run of 1000), well their donations are pretty
> significant.  500 sets, 4 CDs a set, that adds up.
>
> What I'm wondering is if we could make arrangements with them for
> something that would involve us paying for some of the CDs so we'd have
> more.  At LinuxWorld, we really did not have enough to go around and the
> ones we had were gone in 30 minutes.

How about having a donation box. Debian is a registered charity after all.
With a suggested donation of a couple of dollars?  I appreciate that this
might be against the freebie policy, but would serve three purposes:
  a) disuade people who just pick it up because it's a freebie
  b) recoup some of the costs
  c) have more CDs left for the needy [1](because of a)

[1] those still on bo or rex.

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@zetnet.co.uk, http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Avoid tiresome goat sacrifices  -=-  use Debian Linux http://www.debian.org