Re: Paying CD vendors for freebies

On Sun, 23 May 1999, Adrian Bridgett wrote:

> On Sat, May 22, 1999 at 04:10:01PM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:

> > What I'm wondering is if we could make arrangements with them for
> > something that would involve us paying for some of the CDs so we'd have
> > more.  At LinuxWorld, we really did not have enough to go around and the
> > ones we had were gone in 30 minutes.
>
> How about having a donation box. Debian is a registered charity after all.
> With a suggested donation of a couple of dollars?  I appreciate that this
> might be against the freebie policy, but would serve three purposes:
>   a) disuade people who just pick it up because it's a freebie
>   b) recoup some of the costs
>   c) have more CDs left for the needy [1](because of a)
>
> [1] those still on bo or rex.

On a related note, is my count off, or do we really only *need* to give
out 2 CDs for most architectures? Granted, having source and contrib CDs
on hand is nice and/or politically correct, but are they really necessary
as freebies? If we don't need them, then we can quite easily double the
number of potential installations without incurring any extra costs to us
or to the CD vendor. Folks that really wanted either could then go to LC
or Cheapbytes and pick up the remaining disks at a discount, or at full
price, or whatever.

Might even be some way to work this in with the idea of donations, but
that's another matter entirely. Comments?

--
Mike Renfro  / Instructor, Basic Engineering Program
931 372-3601 / renfro@tntech.edu