Re: Esound and x11amp

On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 02:41:34PM +0200, Samuel Tardieu wrote:
> | It should be loaded at startup from `/etc/init.d/esd start' like all the other
> | daemons. ALL sound related programs in debian should use esd. The binary sound
> | producing apps that have no support for esd should be replaced with shell
> | scripts that run `esdctl off', run the program, then run `esdctl on'.
>
> Who made this decision?

Yes, it seems really rude to say that all of the sudden each and every
sound app has to have ESD support. Why the heck do we have to abide by
the rules of some "enlightened" sound *daemon*? We don't convert all of
our fonts (or something similar) to be TrueType just because xfstt
exists...

This is not in Policy, and it requires us to have four additional
packages installed, and our packages to depend on two more libraries.
Thank goodness that these libs aren't so big.