Short question: No Available PTYs

Short question:

I've got a slink and a potato machine on a network.  The potato machine
will often complain of "No Available PTYs" and refuse a telnet
connection or to start an xterm (though it will start an rxvt -- dunno
why).  I don't know what PTY's -- pseudo terminals I guess -- are all
about, so I don't really know how to go about diagnosing this problem.
Any clues or hints would be appreciated.

I'm posting this to devel because it's potato that seems to have the
problem.

Thanks,

Jesse

--