Re: Kernel 2.2.9 and Iomege Zip drive

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Jeff Licquia wrote:
> > In a file in /etc/modutils:
> > alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
>
> That is already done in /etc/modutils/arch/i386, so that should not
> really be necessary (this was done in modutils 2.1.121-9).
Strangely enough it *was* necessary regardingless the fact that
it was in arch/i386 defined (which I checked after the replys to my
mail).  Anyway it works now and I'm happy :).

> You might also need to have a line like the following:
>
> alias block-major-3-64 ppa
>
> Which says that the block device /dev/hdb is handled using the ppa
> driver. You can get the correct numbers by doing "file <device>".
> For example:
>
> [lightning:~]-21> file /dev/hdb
> /dev/hdb: block special (3/64)
Hmmm, are you sure for /dev/_h_db??  I thought it has to be an
/dev/sd? device in general /dev/sd?4 (if there are no SCSI discs
for example /dev/sda4).  I don't understand *why* it should be an
IDE disk and what would it help me if it works with sda4.

> > Then 'update-modules'.
>
> That still holds.
May be that was the necessary bit.  But does `dpkg -i kernel-image`
which I build using make-kpkg doesn't do this job?  This was the
reason why I left it out (it was the first time that I used
the kernel-package builder).

Kind regards

           Andreas.