Re: info: can we add a way to get the default path?

    since there info
    provides no way to determine the default path,

I suggest we adopt your solution #2 in this form: make a leading or
trailing or doubled colon expand into the default path.  That's what I
did for tex/web2c/kpathsea many years ago and I haven't had any
complaints about it.

If you do the work, great.  (I'll need you to sign a disclaimer.)  I
won't be able to get to this until after the release, whenever that is :(.

Thanks,