Re: info: can we add a way to get the default path?

Karl Berry <karl@cs.umb.edu> wrote:

>>  2) A magic token, that if put into the INFOPATH expands into the
>>     default path dynamically.  Something like this:
>>
>>        export INFOPATH=/usr/local/XXX:@@DEFAULT_PATH@@

> I suggest we adopt your solution #2 in this form: make a leading or
> trailing or doubled colon expand into the default path. That's what
> I did for tex/web2c/kpathsea many years ago and I haven't had any
> complaints about it.

But there is one big problem with this: It has to be implemented in
every program using info files:
- info
- tkinfo
- emacs19, emacs20, xemacs20, xemacs21
- pinfo
- info2www
- gnome-info2html
- ...

I think, that it would be a better idea, if we could provide a generic
way to configure the INFOPATH which could be used by all info
programs. Maybe something like /etc/manpath.config in combination with
a program like manpath(1), which can be called as
        export INFOPATH=`infopath`
or
        setenv INFOPATH `infopath`

And this can simply be extended to
        export INFOPATH=`infopath`:/usr/local/foo/info

on a per user basis or by changing /etc/infopath (or whatever it is
named) on a system wide basis.

This would give cgi-scripts like info2www a better chance to be
flexible, because this has it's INFOPATH hardcoded in the script at
the moment.

Tschoeeee

        Roland

--
 * roland@spinnaker.de * http://www.spinnaker.de/ *
 PGP: 1024/DD08DD6D   2D E7 CC DE D5 8D 78 BE  3C A0 A4 F1 4B 09 CE AF