Re: Hey! what should I do?

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> writes:

> It is always best not to just walk off with someone's package..  Adopting
> their package because they're no longer maintaining it isn't too hard,
> just post an Intent to Adopt (pretty much the same as an Intent to
> Package) and give it a week or two..  Cc the package's maintainer if you
> do that.  If the developer is known to be on vacation or something,
> hopefully someone will relate that information to you.

This is not kosher.  Aside from the assent of the current pkg
maintainer or fiat by the "technical committee", the project leader,
or perhaps if the keyring maintainer decides that a maintain is AWOL,
or maybe actions by the QA group, there really is no way for packages
to change ownership.  So please don't make these sorts of
recommendations.

Since individual maintainers can already send patches to the BTS and
do NMUs, I really don't see any reason to give maintainers the power
to "hijack" packages, no matter what their intention is.