Re: when move /usr/doc -> /usr/share/doc ?

On Jul 01, Santiago Vila wrote:
> Yes, and this is what is done in GNU/Hurd as well (usr -> /).
>
> The problem is that once that you have forced dpkg to "follow" a symlink
> to install a package (which is perfectly possible and it sort of works),
> it is nearly impossible to upgrade to another version of the same package
> having the files in the real destination. dpkg is unable to see that the
> files in the "wrong" place that followed the symlink and the files in the
> "right" place which do not need to follow the symlink (or viceversa)  are
> the same and get extremely confused.

I've noticed some problems with alien packages that use /usr/bin/X11
instead of /usr/X11R6/bin.  Ideally dpkg would resolve path names
using the GNU realpath() function (or equivalent; I implemented
something identical in Python for reportbug).  On the other hand,
rearranging your file system (moving /usr/doc to /junk/doc via a
symlink, for example) probably would continue to confuse the hell out
of dpkg.

Chris
|         Chris Lawrence         |       Get your Debian 2.1 CD-ROMs        |
|    <quango@watervalley.net>    |        http://www.lordsutch.com/         |
|     Amiga A4000 604e/233Mhz    |     Do you want your bank to snoop?      |
|      with Linux/APUS 2.2.8     |    http://www.defendyourprivacy.com/     |