Planned official X update for slink (was: unofficial-update section for slink)

On Thu, Jul 01, 1999 at 11:54:33AM +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> I was trying to find the XFree86 3.3.3.1 slink packages which someone
> had built.  I did find them on netgod's by doing a search through the
> -devel archives, but I only thought of doing that because I knew that
> it had been discussed.

The latest Debian X news and information is always at the X Strike Force
page, <http://www.debian.org/~branden/>.  This page includes a link to
netgod's unofficial slink 3.3.3.1 builds.

> Would there be any possibility of having an unofficial-updates
> directory on the ftp site which could house updates to stable which
> developers feel are important enough to not wait until the next
> release but not important enough (or too likely to cause problems) to
> go in the official release?  Then people would know exactly where to
> look.

Wichert and Richard Braakman and I have been discussing a stable-update
version of X.  Initially it was going to be 3.3.3.1, but with the release
of 3.3.4 imminent, it would seem to make more sense just to use that.

So the plan is, once 3.3.4 is out, get it packaged for potato, see if it is
in any respect worse than 3.3.2.3 (which I doubt), give it a couple of
weeks, and then repackage it for slink.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |
Debian GNU/Linux                 |            //     // //  /     /