Re: Intent to package: tkSETI

On Thu, Jul 01, 1999 at 07:37:58PM +0200, Sami Dalouche wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 04:46:35PM -0400, Gopal Narayanan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I intend to package tkSETI, a GUI frontend to the SETI@Home client for
> > Unix.  TkSETI is GPLed. The homepage for tkSETI is
> > http://www.cuug.ab.ca/~macdonal/tkseti/tkseti.html
> > This program requires the user to download the SETI@Home unix client
> > from the official SETI@Home website: http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
> > SETI@Home is a unique scientific experiment that harnesses the power of
> > thousands of internet-connected computers in the Search for
> > Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI).
> >
> Is it the programs wich searches a presence of UFO ?

No, not UFOs, but possibly advanced extraterrestrial civilizations
that may be broadcasting radio signals to attract attention to
themselves. Visit their website. There is a ton of information and
links.

> So, it's not really secure if the source cant't be given. They will
> probably be hacked some day...
> It's like M$ : security by hiding a max of things to the users.
>
> > could compromise their database server). Is tkseti then non-free?
>
> No but it's contrib.

Thanks, contrib it will be. The only reason I had some doubts was -
tkSETI does not need setiathome to be compiled. It is a
frontend. However, after receiving some other email (thanks!) and
reading through policy carefully, I think contrib is the way to go for
tkSETI. Just a small note, I would encourage those with machines that
are idle at times to try out this software. It is a neat project.

Gopal.

Gopal Narayanan                          Ph #: (413) 545 0925
Five College Radio Astronomy Observatory Fax#: (413) 545 4223
University of Massachusetts              e-mail: gopal@fcrao1.phast.umass.edu
Amherst MA 01003