Re: Intent to package: tkSETI

On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 04:46:35PM -0400, Gopal Narayanan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I intend to package tkSETI, a GUI frontend to the SETI@Home client for
> Unix.  TkSETI is GPLed. The homepage for tkSETI is
> http://www.cuug.ab.ca/~macdonal/tkseti/tkseti.html
> This program requires the user to download the SETI@Home unix client
> from the official SETI@Home website: http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
> SETI@Home is a unique scientific experiment that harnesses the power of
> thousands of internet-connected computers in the Search for
> Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI).

Is it the programs wich searches a presence of UFO ?

> A question for developers: tkSETI the frontend is GPL. But the
> setiathome client is only available as a binary (for both scientific
> and security considerations. Scientific, because the SETI folks don't
Hum...
> want you to change the data analysis style. Security because hackers

So, it's not really secure if the source cant't be given. They will
probably be hacked some day...
It's like M$ : security by hiding a max of things to the users.

> could compromise their database server). Is tkseti then non-free?

No but it's contrib.

> Thanks for any pointers!
Debian Policy :

  2.1.3 The contrib section

   Every package in "contrib" must comply with the DFSG.

   Examples of packages which would be included in "contrib" are
     * free packages which require "contrib", "non-free", or "non-US"
       packages or packages which are not in our archive at all for
       compilation or execution,
     * wrapper packages or other sorts of free accessories for non-free
       programs,
     * packages which we don't want to support because they are too
       buggy, and
     * packages which fail to meet some other policy requirements in a
       serious way.