Re: tkpaint package (Re: Packages to give away)

Victor Wagner wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Martin Schulze wrote:
>
> > It will only be moved into contrib if it depends on non-free/non-US
> > software.
> Policy also permits to move there programs  which are too bugggy.

Whoops?  I didn't know that I to be honest I doubt.  However, somebody
else just confirmed it.  Interesting.

> > > 3. Really, there is no appropriate version of tk to run tkpaint in debian,
> > >     becouse tk wuthout dash-patch is not able to save images into
> > >     postscript. Also, font handling in tk 8.0 doesn't work with non-Latin1
> > >     fonts. So, for people which use some other encoding, tk 8.1 is needed.
> >
> > The program works fine without saving into postscript.  This is still a
> > bug, but the program is usable.  Apart from that, could the dash-patch be
>
> Usable for what? Why should one need drawing program, which doesn't allow
> neither print nor  convert to gif for publishing on web (For later, Img
> extension is neccesary, and it is not packaged yet)

Oh.  If it cannot save any image, that's too bad and makes it unusable,
indeed.  I thought that you can still work with the internal format and
export it into some other graphic formats.

> > included into our tk versions?
>
> As far, as I'm aware, there is no patent or licensing issues with dash
> patch. Appearantly too few people use Tk for real graphics, so there was
> not enough demand to include dash-patch into Tcl core or at least debian
> packages. I've asked David to do so, but..

You'd better nag him... :)

> > Nice to hear!  When I was working on it the author was only able to provide
> > me with the windows version - *drums* and it worked under Unix as well.
>
> There still is one subtle issue - my configure script attempts to find
> which postscript viewer is installed and adds variable PS_VIEWER at the
> top of tkpaint script. I haven't yet invented a good way to do so in
> postinst such way that it would survive subsequent change of ghostview to
> gv. Somebody have suggested to use "see application/postscript"
> instead, but now only executable name can be stored in this vriable,
> not shell command with arguments.

Can't you use something like the following in tkpaint itself:

read variable ps-viewer from .tkpaintrc file

if not present,
   if executable, use gv
   else if executable, use ghostview
        else if...

Regards,

	Joey

--
Whenever you meet yourself you're in a time loop or in front of a mirror.