Re: [gnu.misc.discuss,gnu.emacs.gnus] Free software: Packagers vs Developers

Scavenging the mail folder uncovered Charles C. Fu's letter:
> sometimes I am cc'ed on the email correspondence between the Debian
> maintainer and the upstream maintainer/original author with my bug
> reports included more or less in their entirety.  That way, the folks
> upstream know who sent the original bug report.
>
> Perhaps we can settle this argument by recommending that Debian
> package maintainers note the identity of the user(s) who reported a
> problem when forwarding a bug upstream?  Of course, this information
> is also present in the bug track server, but we can't expect
> non-Debian developers to be familiar with the BTS.  (And, of course,
> the BTS is not always up-to-date and is not as searchable as it could
> be.)

When I receive a bug report that requires to be fowarded upstream,
I *always* cc: the original poster. And I try to keep him informed:
two heads are better than one. I think a lot of other developers
do the same. It is much better if a bug is fixed upstream and not
only in the Debian tree. (But some authors doesn't like toi have
their programs packaged and sometimes [happened to me 1 time] refuse
to exchange mail with Debian developers, that's a shame...)

Ciao,
fog

--
Federico Di Gregorio                    {Friend of Penguins}
Debian GNU/Linux Developer                    fog@debian.org