Re: Berlin & FSSTND/FHS

On Sat, Jul 03, 1999 at 04:55:06AM +0200, Tamas TEVESZ wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Robert Thomson wrote:
>  > /usr/X11* is there for historic reasons - nothing more.  I'm sure there are
> FHS2 doesn't say a word about this ``historic reason'', though...
Ahh, yes, FHS. We're aiming that direction, now, aren't we? :)

What it does say, at the beginning of section 4, is:
 No large software packages should use a direct subdirectory under the
 /usr hierarchy.  An exception is made for the X Window System because of
 considerable precedent and widely-accepted practice.  This section of
 the standard specifies the location for most such packages.

In that case, FHS doesn't say anything about Berlin, and we're trying to be
FHS compliant.

- Rob.

--
 Robert Thomson -- Just call me Sir  -=|   UNIX is user friendly.  |=-