Re: [gnu.misc.discuss,gnu.emacs.gnus] Free software: Packagers vs Developers

Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
> I think this sorely underestimates the complexity involved in making a
> well-integrated distribution.  Maybe he doesn't, but I'll be surprised
> if this is ever the norm.

<KIBITZ>
Actually, if all software is GNU software, it's doable.

GNU already has policy which is "close enough" to make this doable.
[With some changes here and there, but doable.]

However, Debian split from GNU over leadership issues a number of years
ago, and I see no signs of that rift being fixable.

Our current stance seems to be: GNU doesn't take precedence over anyone
else -- we'll work with them but on an informal basis.

Their stance seems to be: Debian is the freest distribution at the moment.
As long as that's true, they'll want to distribute Debian.  If that
changes, they'll switch.
</KIBITZ>

More generally, I think it is a good idea for us to track upstream
packages as closely as possible, and feed bug reports and/or fixes to
the upstream developers in the style they prefer.  And, to the degree
that Per is advocating this, I agree with him.

I don't think Per understands Debian well enough to be dictating our
overall structure, but if we can focus on the specific problems he's
trying to address I think we can improve things significantly.

--
Raul