Kinda OT: Dealing with cracker attempts...

So I was sitting here working on getting libnet-perl working with the
new perl packages, and installing midentd on my firewall host so that
I could get into some ftp sites, when what did I notice but ippl
logging that someone was portscanning me.

How do other people handle this?  I mean, this host has basically all
services but smtp and identd turned off, so I'm not _terrifically_
worried about someone getting in.  It does annoy me, though, and I'm
wondering if people have any real-world suggestions as to ways to
provide negative reinforcement to the cracker.

Suggestions?

Mike.