Re: libtool in upstream makefiles

Hi John,

On  4 Jul, John Lapeyre wrote:
 > 	  I am trying to update a package. The author
 > has switched to libtool since the last release.  It
 > is a nice number theory library, but no software depends
 > on it at this point.  The makefile somehow just builds
 > a static libary, although I can't find a request to libtool
 > to build a static library.

Does the distribution have an autoconf style configure script?  If
it does, take a look at the configure.in file.  It probably has a line
that says something like:

	AC_DISABLE_SHARED

This will cause libtool to disable building shared libraries by
default.  You can re-enable building shared libraries by issuing the
following to the configure script:

	./configure --enable-shared

If the distribution doesn't have a configure script and simply relies
on calling libtool "manually" from the Makefiles then it shouldn't be
hard to make the right libtool calls in the Makefile.  The libtool docs
should provide some good examples.  I never use libtool without
autoconf and automake, otherwise I could give you a better answer.
Sorry.

HTH,
-Ossama
--
Ossama Othman <othman@cs.wustl.edu>
Center for Distributed Object Computing, Washington University, St. Louis