libtool in upstream makefiles

	  Hi,
	  I am trying to update a package. The author
has switched to libtool since the last release.  It
is a nice number theory library, but no software depends
on it at this point.  The makefile somehow just builds
a static libary, although I can't find a request to libtool
to build a static library.
         Figuring out how to get libtool to build a static
lib and a shared lib does not look like fun.  Before, I
added a target for shared libs and passed -fpic and put
in the proper soname.  None of the scientific libraries
I have packaged do any of this.
        How about just adding a couple of targets to do
static and shared the way I want; this would be very simple.
Do people typically do it this way ?  Or should I try to
figure out libtool (It may aid in portability, but it
looks like a gross overkill to me)  Or do you typically
work this out with author on a case by case basis ?
     Thanks, John

--
John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>,  lapeyre@debian.org