Re: Perl disaster in the making

On 04-Jul-99, 16:34 (CDT), Raphael Hertzog <rhertzog@hrnet.fr> wrote:
> Le Sun, Jul 04, 1999 at 04:09:30PM -0500, Steve Greenland écrivait:
>
> > To wit: libgtk-perl picked up a dependency on perl-5.005 (apparently in
> > addition to "perl (>= 5.004-05)". This causes dselect to auto-select
>
> No ligtk-perl has been recompiled with perl-5.005 and depends on
> perl-5.005, this is the right thing.

Oops, you're correct, I was looking at the old control file when I saw
the "perl (>= 5.004.04-5)" dependency.

> If you do not want problems, do not install perl-5.005 until everything
> has been updated. And no perl-5.005 cannot provide perl because
> a package with a perl dependency may not work if perl is provided by
> perl-5.005.
>
> However you can install perl-5.004 safely. It does provide perl5 too
> but do not conflict with perl so that your old packages do not need
> to be removed.

I understand both the mechanism and the solution. I did install
perl-5.004. The issue is that by doing the package upgrades
independently, every time one gets upgraded I have to go put it on hold
to keep dselect from trying to bring in perl-5.0005.

> This has been discussed many times before, here and in debian-perl, and
> I think we're doing the right thing ... but it is a big changes which
> involves many packages, so give us some time to complete the work.

I understand all that, and I'm not saying you folks are doing the wrong
thing. If "Provides: perl" isn't possible, then it isn't possible. I
apologize for not completely understanding the impact of the previous
postings (some of which I *did* read). Perhaps I shouldn't have used the
word "disaster" in the title, but I wanted to make others aware of the
problem.

> It's not an unsolved problem. It's a temporary unavoidable problem.

A staging area would have been nice. Perhaps we should require one for
future changes that require widespread package upgrades/rebuilds.

Steve