Re: Note Pentium Optimized only really helps P5 CPUs ...

On Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 09:47:11AM -0500, Stephen Pitts wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 04, 1999 at 12:57:37PM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> > I like the idea of having optimized packages for the High-End users
> > but i think it will cause a LOT bigger ftp sites (EV4 EV5 EV6 -> 3 times
> > more alpha) (pentium, ppro, k7 -> 3 times bigger i386).
> >
> > I would more like the idea of "local" compiler options - Means - If i am
> > able to do "apt-get compile apache" it should use MY compiler
> > (e.g. pgcc) and the optimizations i would like to have. This optimization
> > issue is only interesting for "High-End" users and they have some
> > cpu-cycles left on installation.
> >
> > ---/etc/compilersettings-----
> > CC=pgcc
> > CFLAGS=-mpentium

> Half of what you asked for is already there: As of 0.3.6,
> you can "apt-get -b source apache" to rebuild a package.

This is what i remembered and now the only missing piece are
"machine-local" compiler settings to easily recompile
packages with every compiler somebody over might think of.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff		flo@rfc822.org		      	+49-5241-470566
Good, Fast, Cheap: Pick any two (you can't have all three).  (RFC 1925)