Re: Pentium Optimized

"M. Brian Akins" wrote:

> I was wondering if there was any interest in putting together a set of pentium
> optimized debian packages???
>
> I have done a few for my use by using pgcc (patched egcs) with the
> -march=pentium -mcpu=pentium (as weel as =pentiumpro).  But I will admit I'm a
> newbie in the dpkg world and was wondering had this idead been contemplated
> seriously before.
>
> Thanks M. Brian Akins
>
>  (If this has been asked a hunderd times before, or if I'm out of line, please
> let me know)

I personally would go "kookoo for cocoa puffs" if there was a set of pentium
optimized packages, but the question really is "do we have the space on the
mirrors to store all the extra package files???" At last count the totality of
fully mirroring Debian was like 6GB perhaps that's more now...

But then we don't want to treat i386 users like second class citizens, and
completely adopt only i586 packages...

And if only a few mirror sites agree to host the extra i586 packages then they
will undoubtedly get hit a lot.

And there is also the issue of dealing with additional bug fixing and stuff.

And do we have enough volunteers to try to pentium optimize it all and make sure
it all works in that optimized stated.

I'd be impressed, as I'm sure a lot of other folks would to at a decision from
Debian to add to it's list of offerings, a pentium optimized set of packages.

Perhaps start with a few of the more "time critical" packages that get used a
lot in performance critical ways, like apache, ftp daemons, and all sorts of
other things I fail to remember at the moment. Then see what the response is,
and the demand for such optimized packages, and then try to work it into the
Debian system a little at a time. :)

--Brock

---------------------  PGP key ID: FED76A3D <brock@cyberdude.com> 4 / 5 / 1999

   __ _    Debian GNU       R. Brock Lynn             (bytopian on irc #debian)
  / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __   http://www.debian.org/     irc.openprojects.net
 / / | | '_ \| | | \ \/ /                    Free Software!
/ /__| | | | | |_| |>  <    Remember that's "Free" as in Freedom!,
\____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\   Not Free as in price.      Debian's 'Da Bomb!