Re: Moving contrib and non-free of master.debian.org

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Jeff Licquia wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 01:25:59AM +0200, Remco Blaakmeer wrote:
> >
> > I think there should be Official Debian CDs with non-US programs on them.
> > The images for these CDs would of course need to be on a host outside the
> > USA. That way, people that don't live in the USA will not have the problem
> > of not getting non-US on CD. Why should the whole world suffer from a
> > stupid law that exists in only one country?
>
> This may be, but if there is only one Official Debian CD image, it
> should not have any of non-US on it.

Agreed. There should at least be some Official images that can be freely
distributed across the whole world.

> I wouldn't have a problem with having two Official images: one with
> and one without non-US.  Heck, I wouldn't even have a problem with
> having an Official and "depreciated" or "crippled" version, where the
> Official version had all of non-US/main.  I think the law is stupid,
> too.

Yes, this is what I wanted to say too.

> But I also want to have some confidence that, were I to run a big
> Linux giveaway of some kind, I could burn lots of copies of the
> Official CD and hand them out like candy - without the hassle of
> checking passports, birth certificates, or green cards.  I'm sure
> CheapBytes and the like appreciate that they don't have to set up
> export controls on their online stores.

On their US computers, CheapBytes should only sell the (Official But)
Crippled Debian CDs. They could set up www.cheapbytes.nl, selling the
Official And Fully Working Debian CDs from an office in The Netherlands.
That way they wouldn't need the export controls. Any US citizen importing
the Fully Working CDs into the US would be violating the laws themselves.

If your givaway is in the US, hand out the Crippled CDs, while proclaiming
statements like "you have a democratically elected government that makes
stupid laws". Otherwise, hand out the Fully Working CDs and just smile. :-)

But IANAL, of course.

Remco
--
rd1936: 11:00pm  up 18 days, 13:53,  8 users,  load average: 1.16, 1.47, 1.57