Re: Q about policy; revision numbers

Aaron Van Couwenberghe <vanco@sonic.net> writes:

> Hey all -
>
>   Is it legal, according to debian policy, to have package revisiion numbers
> in a form besides '-1 -2 -3 ....' etc? For example, suppose I have a package
> that will be taken from CVS every time, and I want to make the revision the
> date, '-990705' for example.

If you do this, make sure that you consider that the year 2000 is just
around the corner.  This would create a decrease in the revision
number.

Personally, for some of the packages I maintain, I try to avoid using
the latest CVS version even in the unstable distribution.  In one
case, this is the upstream author's preference.  I don't want unstable
to be *too* unstable..  How many changes should be tested on Debian
users first?  This policy will vary from package to package.
Packages which are quite new and unstable might as well have the
latest CVS release.  Critical bug fixes should be included quickly.

--
Kevin Dalley
kevind@rahul.net