Re: Re: Pentium Optimized

Thomas Ko wrote:
> But I would like it to be platform independent, so I can take the complete
> sources, compile the whole distribution on a eg. ix86 and install the whole
> thing on a powermac or an alpha or whatever.

Do you mean architecture independent?

Platform independence would mean Debian packages would build on non-Debian
systems.  I do not think that is worth pursuing, there are too many
broken systems in the world.  Some sort of bootstrap might work, though,
which gets a basic compilation environment going and little else.

> What needs to be done to give us such a functionality??? - Ease of use,
> that's what linux needs - 'make world' and the thing rolls.

The main thing is source dependencies, which means a patch to dpkg.
The track record for patches to dpkg suggests that your best bet is
to wait for dpkg2 to become functional.

The next thing is to make sure all packages actually compile from source.
I don't think we will ever achieve this entirely (there are always bugs),
but we could do a lot better than we do now.  I expect that the existence
of such a source-based distribution will do a lot to help.

Richard Braakman