Re: Intent to package: devfsd

On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 11:04:10PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Gregory T. Norris wrote:
> > It looks like I was making things harder than they really are, for the
> > most part anyway.  Once I started looking in the CORRECT places, it
> > became more or less straightforward.
>
> Could whoever is packaging devfs please populate the configuration file
> with settings to give standard Debian permissions to all the files in
> /dev? It would be even better if there was some way to have the devfsd
> set those when it started up <hint hint>
>
> Right now my devfs is in a terrible mess, for some reason it has crazy
> ownership and permissons.

devfs has no config file.

The question is, do we want devfs to set those up the first time it
runs on a devfs enabled kernel (i.e. it doesn't have a saved state),
or do we want to actually write a devfsd control file for the devfsd
package that can handle those.

The other fun thing is devices that get created after the first time
you boot with devfs; you'll already have a saved state.

I guess it looks like I'll have to populate the default devfsd.conf
file, which means I'll either have to change the devfs Suggests:
devfsd to a Recommends, or to a Requires.

Actually, the recommends would need to be on the kernel patch package.

--
Elie Rosenblum                 That is not dead which can eternal lie,
http://www.cosanostra.net   And with strange aeons even death may die.