Re: OT: lynx

On Wed, Aug 25, 1999 at 02:01:33PM +1200, Michael Beattie wrote:

> Sorry for the OT'ness, but I am desperate to find someone out there :)
>
> Anyone who has experience with automated form posting with lynx
> (-post_data/-get_data), mail me, please?

from memory, you do something like the following:

	echo "var1=foo&var2=bar" | lynx -dump -post_data <URL>

or you can use POST (a perl script included in libwww-perl):

	echo "var1=foo&var2=bar" | POST <URL>

i believe you can also do something like:

	cat <<__EOF__ | GET <URL>
	var1=foo
	var2=bar
	user=fred
	pass=secret
	__EOF__

btw, automating http GET is similar.

	lynx -dump "http://somewhere.com/cgi-bin/foo?var1=foo&var2=bar";
or
	GET "http://somewhere.com/cgi-bin/foo?var1=foo&var2=bar";

the quotes around the post data or URL are required to prevent
interpretation of the "&" and ";" by your shell.

for more complicated stuff, you're probably better off writing a little
robot using libwww-perl - it's easier than you might think. 'man LWP' is
your friend :)

craig

--
craig sanders