Re: Latest UNISYS LZW patent nonsense -- $5,000 for every web site

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Joseph Carter wrote:

> A $5K license to use files in a given format?  That's directly analogous
> to M$ saying that anybody distributing Word .doc's must pay them a fee.
> Or Farenhaufer saying that anyone who has a .mp3 on their system must pay,
> or any other example of blatant bullshit we would probably start a
> donation fund to fight this in the courts.

I think they're able to extract money from people who _create_ gifs (hence
the GNU site being covered with "no gifs due to patent problems); how they
intend to proove you created the gifs on your website rather than getting
them from somewhere else is the interesting bit.

Matthew