Re: Latest UNISYS LZW patent nonsense -- $5,000 for every web site

On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 09:49:31AM +0100, Matthew Vernon wrote:
> > A $5K license to use files in a given format?  That's directly analogous
> > to M$ saying that anybody distributing Word .doc's must pay them a fee.
> > Or Farenhaufer saying that anyone who has a .mp3 on their system must pay,
> > or any other example of blatant bullshit we would probably start a
> > donation fund to fight this in the courts.
>
> I think they're able to extract money from people who _create_ gifs (hence
> the GNU site being covered with "no gifs due to patent problems); how they
> intend to proove you created the gifs on your website rather than getting
> them from somewhere else is the interesting bit.

Yes, but they are going after the people who are placing GIFs on websites,
assuming that they have created them with unlicensed software and
apparently they want you to prove otherwise.

This is a scam.  It's not even a good one.  And it has no legal precedence
to back it up---in fact if anything there are decisions to the contrary.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>             Debian GNU/Linux developer
GnuPG: 2048g/3F9C2A43 - 20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3