A [partial] alternative to animated GIf ( was UNISYS latest licence nonsense)

Hello,

There is the possibility to do animations - yes, in black and white - without
the GIF format, and with saving download time.
The technique consists of programming in JavaScript ( the whole images are
generated within the source - that's the gain) and using the old xbm format.
With some tricks, this works with both IE and Navigator supporting JavaScript
1.1 ( i.e. compatible Mozilla/3.0 at least).

You can see examples and the whole explanation of the technique at the
following URL ( unfortunately the explanations are in french for the
moment, but you may take the sources javascript, and if somebody is interested,
I will try to find the time to translate it in english ):

http://www.polynum.com/index.cgi?/docs/produits/javascript/ImaJin.html

BTW, I will remove the remaining GIFs in my website, the best answer to
UNISYS being to prove that we can do WITHOUT them and their patent.

Cheers

--
Thierry LARONDE
thierry.laronde@polynum.com

"Et qu'on ne m'en demande pas plus, sinon on n'en aurait jamais fini !" Sancho