Re: this all this xxx-jp nonsense (was: Re: ITP: grep-ja)

In <[🔎] 19990830143903.A17794@cs.leidenuniv.nl> (Aug.30 1999 21:39 JST),
``this all this xxx-jp nonsense (was: Re: ITP: grep-ja)'',
wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl says:
=
=   I seriously object to this. I do not think that forking all packages in
=   Debian and creating -jp-package is the right way to go. What should be
=   done is submit patches to the maintainers, preferably both Debian and
=   upstream. What I was hoping to see with the integration of Debian-JP
=   is that all the multibyte patches would be *integrated* with Debian,
=   not a senseless forking of lots of packages.

I've read the patch(grep-2.0-mb1.04.diff.gz). Actually, the patch
just add a capablity to handle data which coded EUC-JP or Mircosoft-
Kanji code, and it does not handle even JIS-7bit code (like Junet
code, see RFC1468).  I suppose that the FSF would reject the patch
because what GNU wants is more general extention, i.e. m17ned grep.

Basicaly, making i18ned software is a very difficult work because it
requires the knowledge of many cultures (language is one of them) in
the world.  In case there is no easy way to make a software i18ned,
but still, the Japanese Debian developers may make the software
Japanized.

Which is better for Debian, just waiting for the perfect answer of
i18n, or packaging things what we can do right now regardless of
partialness of i18n-support?

The ``grep-ja'' means that that version of grep has a Japanese-
extention but no more, obviously.  No Korean-extention, no Chinese-
extention, no m17n completed at all, only Japanese, but it's still
a part of effort to make Debian i18ned, right?

I strongly believe that it's not nonsense.

--
Ken Nakagaki