Herring/dpkg (was Re: Senseless Bickering and Overpoliticization)

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Anthony Towns wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 05:50:28PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:

> > dpkg is writhing away in the abyss,
>
> In that it's had another new maintainer upload just the other day.
>
> A bunch of other poeple have started the Herring project (and another
> project which does not officially exist, and shall not be named) to
> make sure that even if dpkg takes it last gasp and doesn't even bother
> writhing anymore, we've got a backup.

Which IMHO is a waste of effort - surely working on the dpkg bugs is a
better use of time rather than trying to re-write the entire thing? I
reject utterly that the dpkg source tree is unreadable - I'm no god
programmer, and I can understand it.

The programming effort being put into Herring could be much better
directed.

Matthew