Re: Herring/dpkg (was Re: Senseless Bickering and Overpoliticization)

On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 12:31:53PM +0100, Matthew Vernon wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Anthony Towns wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 05:50:28PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
>
> > > dpkg is writhing away in the abyss,
> >
> > In that it's had another new maintainer upload just the other day.
> >
> > A bunch of other poeple have started the Herring project (and another
> > project which does not officially exist, and shall not be named) to
> > make sure that even if dpkg takes it last gasp and doesn't even bother
> > writhing anymore, we've got a backup.
>
> Which IMHO is a waste of effort - surely working on the dpkg bugs is a
> better use of time rather than trying to re-write the entire thing? I
> reject utterly that the dpkg source tree is unreadable - I'm no god
> programmer, and I can understand it.
>
> The programming effort being put into Herring could be much better
> directed.

Opinion noted, but fortunately for me, it's my effort to direct in any way
I see fit. I don't see how some one who is not (obviously since the bugs
still exist) working on _anything_ to fix dpkg, can put down the efforts
of others who are (or are taking steps to make it irrelevant). I believe
this is the kind of BS and trashing that usually would affect some peoples
drive and desire to put effort into this project. Thankfully for me (and
others that my efforts help) it doesn't phase me in the least, other
than prove that my opinion of the general attitude in this project
suck[1].

Ben

[1] Please don't everyone take this personally. The ones I direct it to
probably know who they are...ie. anyone who intentionally makes others
feel that what they are doing is pointless and a waste of time rather than
giving coherent and relevant guidance to help.