Re: Senseless Bickering and Overpoliticization

Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> writes:

> Obviosly two people care. I would like to take a moment to point out to
> two formal resignations we've had this month. Both specificly cited the
> flamewars, glacial speed and increasing bureaucracy. I didn't see much in
> the way of concern over their departures, but it upset me.

I am indeed someone that has occasionally considered it of late.  I'm
sticking it out, hoping things will get better after potato.  But as
you can see from my message, I am extremely disturbed at the trends.

> I have no count of how many people have ceased reading lists like -policy,
> -devel and -private simply because they are sick of reading the flames and
> watching the bile fly. Believe me though, it's happening.

I still subscribe but read maybe .5% of the messages on those lists.
There was a time when I read every message on those lists and wrote
quite a few messages as well.

> Each day I get to talk to alot of people inside and outside the project,
> and one of the biggest complaints I hear is: "It's not fun anymore".

I agree.  It's more of a chore than an exciting challenge now.

I remember when Debian was the largest distribution, the most stable,
and the most current.  Debian was first with kenerl 2.0 integrated,
for instance.  We are still good with stability and size, but the
differential between any given release and the present is becoming
quite large.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |
The 140,173,825th prime number is 2,906,747,339.