Re: Feaping Creature-ism in core Debian Packages

On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 05:50:12PM -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> Umm... I'm not sure about what relevance this has to the current thread,
> but anyway... the problem is that /etc/init.d/lprng is a conffile, and
> so may not be removed when the rest of the package is (ie, if you delete
> lprng with dpkg -r lprng or apt-get remove, then /etc/init.d/lprng will
> remain).  In such a case, the init script should not run.  To determine
> this it checks to see if /usr/doc/lprng exists, which is a fairly safe
> way to do this check -- since /usr/doc/<package-name> must exist by
> policy, and depending on any other individual file is prone to really
> ugly bugs if/when the package is reorganized.  Just the same, I haven't
> ever read anything about this, or what the correct way to handle this
> is -- does anyone have a better check?  Should it be in policy?

I'd say the best check would be to have a parm to dpkg that (very efficiently)
checks if a package is installed, but dpkg can't do that (I think). So, how
about checking what dpkg would check. Maybe grep /var/lib/dpkg/status?

Sarel Botha          |     Computer &           | +27 341 81341
(sjb@dundee.lia.net) |        Accounting        | BOX 2065, Dundee